Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Boy's New Smile

While I was working on the "August EC Stuff" post my son was playing at his friend's house on the trampoline. I don't like the trampoline, and have a standing rule that the kids can't be on it if there isn't an adult outside watching them on it - not just outside doing stuff, but actually watching them.

Of course, just having supervision can't prevent accidents.

The Boy


And he's the kind of kid that, through his tears of pain, apologized for breaking an adult tooth! I got him calmed with the assurance that the dentist will be able to cap it and no one will ever know unless he tells them (or loses the cap); and got him back to smiling by pointing out he has a fierce fang now and a wolfish grin, and had better not bite his sister Blossom no matter how bad she torments him since he'd cut her up bad for sure (not that he's ever bitten anyone, but silliness was called for).

I suppose it is the natural perversity of childhood that they can't have these minor accidents during normal office hours; it's always the middle of the night or on weekends. I almost hope he doesn't get his cap done before Halloween: he plans to be a pirate, and the broken tooth would enhance his costume nicely.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor kid! I hope he's not in too much pain! You both seem to have handled it well.

Cally the Wild Aspie said...

Thanks for the sympathy. :) He's a trooper; once the initial shock wore off he was fine. And since he's the third child, and a boy, I've gotten used to these minor crises (though afterward I did need to hide for a bit with a cup of tea!).

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! Seems you have both handled it well, though. I was fortunate, with my son. He never broke a bone or even had stitches until he was about 16 (hockey injury). Sometimes these injuries are harder on the moms!

Callie Ann said...

What a silly guy.. What did he knock that thing on.. My goodness..

Cally the Wild Aspie said...

He did a *faceplant* into the frame of the trampoline. The ironic thing was, it was one of the few times they were just bouncing instead of wrestling. He was also a bit annoyed to find out the Tooth Fairy would not pay for adult teeth, even if he found all the pieces. ;)

Karla said...

:-) he looks adorable..but it probably wont help if you tell him that, lol.

I still marvel at getting my three rough and tumble boys through childhood with no broken anythings! If I could figure out how it happened Im sure I could write a best selling how-to book!